What's in a name?

aalmiray
Administrator
Hello everyone,

It seems we are in need of a better, catchy name than "Desktop|Embedded Application API" for this JSR. Look for example at JSR-354 (JavaMoney) or JSR-365 (CDI). I bet we can come up with a few options for this JSR, don't you think?

The goal of this thread is to suggest names, compile them on a list and then submit a poll to the community. Let me kickstart this thread by suggesting the perhaps so obvious, JavaApp ... we can do better, can't we? ;-)

Let the games begin!

Re: What's in a name?

tschulte
Hi,

CDI stands for Context and Dependency Injection, than why not DEAA for Desktop and Embedded Application API, or leave out the API and go with DEA. But this could be mistaken with the other DEA -- at least by US citizens -- but maybe because of that it's even more catchy.

Tobias

On 02/18/2015 08:20 PM, aalmiray [via jsr377-api] wrote:
Hello everyone,

It seems we are in need of a better, catchy name than "Desktop|Embedded Application API" for this JSR. Look for example at JSR-354 (JavaMoney) or JSR-365 (CDI). I bet we can come up with a few options for this JSR, don't you think?

The goal of this thread is to suggest names, compile them on a list and then submit a poll to the community. Let me kickstart this thread by suggesting the perhaps so obvious, JavaApp ... we can do better, can't we? ;-)

Let the games begin!

http://jsr377-api.40747.n7.nabble.com/What-s-in-a-name-tp73.html
To start a new topic under jsr377-api, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jsr377-api, click here.
NAML

Re: What's in a name?

saschaklein
Hi,

my first idea had been JADE - Java API for Desktop and Embedded Applications. Unfortunately this name is taken by the Java Agent Development Framework.
But JEDA - Java Embedded and Desktop API could be a pronouncable name. Aswell taken by Java Electronic Design Automation, but I assume it is a small (3 members), maybe inactive project.

Sascha

http://jsr377-api.40747.n7.nabble.com/What-s-in-a-name-tp73p74.html
To start a new topic under jsr377-api, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jsr377-api, click here.
NAML

Re: What's in a name?

neugens
On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 03:21 -0700, saschaklein [via jsr377-api] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my first idea had been JADE - Java API for Desktop and Embedded
> Applications. Unfortunately this name is taken by the Java Agent
> Development Framework.
> But JEDA - Java Embedded and Desktop API could be a pronouncable name.
> Aswell taken by Java Electronic Design Automation, but I assume it is
> a small (3 members), maybe inactive project.
>
> Sascha

Why don't we drop the acronyms at all? We can also drop "Java". After
all this is a JSR whose RI targets also JVM based languages, but that
could be adopted (perhaps with some modifications) by other languages as
well, like C/C++.

I've been thinking of a name recently, which may not necessarily be
appropriate, but well.

The mother of all frameworks is Mother Nature, whose reference
implementation, at least from a humanly selfish perspective, is our own
planet, who is hosting a wonderful variety of ecosystems... pretty much
like a JVM does (and that's the geek in me speaking). So what do you
think about "Gaia"?

Otherwise, Andres started to work on a nice logo design, which
represents an engine. If this is the final idea (which I pretty much
like, btw), we should probably go for a name that is evocative of an
engine.

Cheers,
Mario

Re: What's in a name?

Hendrik Ebbers
JEDI = Java Embedded & Desktop Interface :D

As Logo we could use Duke with a lightsaber

Re: What's in a name?

alanwilliamson
we have a winner!

http://jsr377-api.40747.n7.nabble.com/What-s-in-a-name-tp73p78.html
To start a new topic under jsr377-api, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jsr377-api, click here.
NAML

Re: What's in a name?

ivan.st.ivanov
Hi everybody,

I don't want to be the bad messenger here, but have you heard about Java Education and Development Initiative?

This is an initiative lead by the University of Philippines and strongly supported by Oracle. I think they won Duke's choice awards at last JavaOne, so they are pretty active.

Otherwise, that's a great name for a project! :)

Cheers,
Ivan

http://jsr377-api.40747.n7.nabble.com/What-s-in-a-name-tp73p79.html
To start a new topic under jsr377-api, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jsr377-api, click here.
NAML

Re: What's in a name?

saschaklein
Hi,

JODA would be nice aswell - just have no idea for the O ;) Java On embedded and Desktop Applications ???

Sascha

http://jsr377-api.40747.n7.nabble.com/What-s-in-a-name-tp73p80.html
To start a new topic under jsr377-api, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jsr377-api, click here.
NAML

Re: What's in a name?

aalmiray
Administrator
JEDI and JODA, oh my, we're setting ourselves for a lawsuit from whoever owns the StarWars rights now :P

As noted by Ivan, JEDI is taken. The JEDI initiative has lots of uptake in Indonesia.
And well, JODA clashes with a better know project: JodaTime and all the Joda thingies (money, beans, etc) Stephen likes to build.

Cute names, but we can't use them :'(

Re: What's in a name?

saschaklein
What about ADEA - API for Desktop and Embedded Applications?

http://jsr377-api.40747.n7.nabble.com/What-s-in-a-name-tp73p82.html
To start a new topic under jsr377-api, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jsr377-api, click here.
NAML

Re: What's in a name?

RDarrylR
Does it really have to have J at the beginning? It should be clear it's related to Java.

http://jsr377-api.40747.n7.nabble.com/What-s-in-a-name-tp73p83.html
To start a new topic under jsr377-api, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jsr377-api, click here.
NAML

-Darryl

Twitter: @RDarrylR

Web: http://rdarrylr.net

Re: What's in a name?

mkheck
Perhaps MDAPI? That's an abbreviate version of eMbedded/Desktop API. Sounds the same as the abbreviation (in English) as well: EM DE API. :)

Sorry, that's the best I have at the moment...but a quick Google search seems to indicate that it isn't already taken, so there's that.  :D

http://jsr377-api.40747.n7.nabble.com/What-s-in-a-name-tp73p85.html
To start a new topic under jsr377-api, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jsr377-api, click here.
NAML

Re: What's in a name?

aalmiray
Administrator
FWIW there's a *temporary* twitter avatar at https://twitter.com/jsr377

We expect to have a better logo once we pick a name for this JSR ;-)